Thursday 7 May 2015

The somme

The Somme
By Jimmy

I hate the trenches. They are muddy and stinky. And there are millions of rats. I am with my friend Yotam here. I am holding my rifle, ready to shoot. Then I see something coming. Something red and heading straight towards me. “RUN!” I yell. Me and Yotam Dive out of the trench. “GET BA…” yells the commander but he never finishes his sentence as a shell incinerates the trench. Me and Yotam run through dead trees. Dirt flies around us. It is a machine gun! But the shooters are missing on purpose. Then I hear someone yell “get into the camp!” Me and Yotam run in and are greeted by a soldier. “Get in!” he yells. In the camp there is a big fire, cooking our dinner. There are also canvas tents. After dinner me and Yotam head to the tent. Then there is a rumbling sound. I instantly turn around to find a tank heading towards the camp! “Run!” yells the commander. Me and Yotam run into the dead trees. The tank advances on us. In between the dead trees are machine guns. The commander told us about them. I get behind one, take aim, and pull the trigger. BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! fire erupts from the barrel. I pull out the round. Then something cold and hard presses the back of my head. I pull my arms up. Then the soldiers lead me and Yotam away.

When I wake up the next day I am in a prisoner of war camp. Yotam is next to me. Then the germans guarding me give me a box. “To You” he grunts. Yotam also gets a box. On it it says “open in a weeks time” so I put it away. One week in a prisoner of war camp is torture. It is almost as bad as the trenches. After one week I open the biscuits. In it there is a message saying. The raisins are burnt and crunchy. I didn’t like burt raisins so I pulled them out. Then Yotam Nudged me. “the raisins are gold nuggets” he whispered. I quickly pulled out the gold and when I got it all out it formed a pile. “What that” grunted the german on guard “Gold” I said quietly “you can have it if we get 5 minutes outside. “ok” he grunted and opened the door. As soon as I was let out I grabbed a rifle from the rack and stuffed all the ANZAC biscuits in my mouth and ran. I couldn't load the rifle so instead I just whacked it over the head of anyone I came across. I ran into a tent to grab a revolver but instead I found something else. A secret plan! I grabbed it and a revolver on the table. Then ran. Yotam followed me. As I ran a Soldier stopped me. I thought he was going to shoot me but then he yelled “GET IN THE TANK”. He was an allied soldier. I jumped into the tank with Yotam and we drove away. On the way back I showed him the information. As it turned out, It was very useful… 2 years later… On my return to new zealand with Yotam we both had ww1 medals, everyone did. But I had another medal for finding the plans. I am so happy to be home…

The End

NSL: use paragraphs and describe the characters well

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for your comment.